Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The first casualty of winter

First measurable snow of the season started about an hour ago, and I heard a little crashing noise, saw a flurry of snow rising from the deck, and looked out to see the first casualty of the season.

Another big branch snapped off the ancient wild cherry tree. For the moment, it looks lovely, the way the branches have spread themselves over the fence, but I wonder how much of this old tree will be left by spring. 




I treasure it because it gives great shade, but I took the precaution last year of transplanting the cherry bushes from out front, where they were growing too tall, to the back, where though they won't give shade, don't spread like a tree, they will give cherries that either the birds or I can have, whoever gets there first.

3 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your posts immensely - just not able to say much right now! Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'd be taking any walks under that tree after any sort of storm, just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely photos. Pity about the poor cherry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!