Thursday, March 13, 2014

Probably last Spring for dear friend K.

Just last week, my close friend K. and another friend came to the house together to break it to me that the weird little swelling in her midriff we'd been a bit worried about, and she'd finally agreed to see a doctor about, had thought for a couple of weeks it was an injury from digging out her icebound car, is in fact Stage IV of a very aggressive cancer.  

She is not quite aware of how little time she might have, and I'm doing all I can to help, be available, support her visiting sister, who is beside herself, naturally, keep tabs on house keys, phone numbers, whatever I can do, arrange for other friends to deliver edible items to her, after her sister has to go back home far away, all the things you think of.  Since she lives alone, I put together a neighborhood A team to be available, including several men who want to be called on to move stuff (thinking ahead to later at home).

But it's a huge weight of sadness over those of us who know what this probably means in terms of remaining time for her and for us to have her company.  I can't write more about that.

She has always been very much interested in natural remedies, ways of keeping calm, and so on, and I introduced her to our local labyrinth last year, which she took to very happily.  Since I doubt very much she can ever do that again, I printed out a finger labyrinth for her, enlarged it, and gave it to her yesterday.  She is pleased with it, will start the practice right away, and I think might take it with her into treatment, since it's just a piece of paper, very portable.

I made one for me, too, since I figured I needed a bit of support too. If you're interested, go here and enlarge and print it.  It needs to be followed slowly, doing the usual labyrinth practice.  

This means calming before you start, deciding on what issue you're bringing to the labyrinth, following slowly to the center, pausing, then leaving, but not rushing out, and allowing time afterwards to digest what you've learned.  It never fails me, never, and I walk it for friends in trouble, for funerals, for memorials, for happy stuff, all kinds of things.

Please keep her in your thoughts.  This neighborhood is like a family, and she's an important member of it.  She was so good to me during Andy's last days and after, and gave me wonderful advice right after.  One of the few people who was able to do that.  As far as I'm concerned, only the best for her, for whatever time there is.
That includes vibes from you, dear blogistas, all over the globe.

5 comments:

  1. Just came to your blog remembering I hadn't looked in for a while and found this, your distressing news. Very sorry for your friend & family, for you and her community who know and love her. I will remember all of you on my beads, you can count on that. Not easy to accompany someone on the last leg of their earthly journey, but one of the most important things we can ever do for anyone. I know she is in good hands with you et al. - Jean in Cowtown

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one who also will not likely see another Spring, I can understand only too well the situation . She is so fortunate to have so many neighbours to rally round, making her time with you a pleasant one. I shall keep her in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your friend and I feel sure that you and her other friends will make her remaining time here on earth as comfortable and happy as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping you, K and all her friends and family in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im sorry about your friend, Liz--and how good of you to help her in just this way. What SHE needs, not what you think she needs.
    I don't pray, but I can think strong thoughts for her, and you, and her other friends who love her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!