Thursday, October 30, 2014

This Month's Bite Club Test Drive

This month's Bite Club, the cookbook book club, is looking at America's Test Kitchen, and I hauled home my loan copy of their Big Cookbook, weighs a ton, and is really an encyclopedia, and decided to try their Corn Fritters as my sample to bring in.





They want heavy cream, which I don't use, so I subbed good homemade plain yogurt,  the corn was very fresh when I froze it, complete with its milk, that sticky stuff that tastes good but sticks your hands together when you're processing the ears, ew, and the minced shallot was freshly minced, good cornflour, good ap flour, large egg (for once, usually I use medium).  Even had cayenne pepper in the house, amazingly.

So I'm trying it out on Handsome Son when he comes to visit this evening, and had to do a test drive of one fritter, seen here drying on a paper towel, to see how it went.  Pretty good, if I say so myself.  We'll see what his verdict is when he tries them. And it will be a test of how well the batter sits in the fridge for a few hours.  If there are any leftovers, I'll try freezing them, a further test.

So this month I hope to have some actual food to bring in and share.  I'm also going to bring in my back copies of the Test Kitchen magazine, and a few Marthas with recipes, to give to anyone who would like them to keep.

2 comments:

  1. You have made me reaiize something: I have never, ever eaten corn fritters! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I am making a note!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love corn fritters. Yours looks pretty darned good. They go great with bacon and sweet chilli sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!